Friday, March 6, 2015

Genre confusion

I've been struggling for the last year to describe my genre. The easy way out is to just say Urban Fantasy and move on. The problem with that is that what urban fantasy used to be has radically changed in the last ten years or so.

Urban fantasy used to be defined by the work of Charles de Lint, Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore and other authors of their ilk. The stories were set in the modern world with fantastic aspects. Many of the stories are born out of ancient mythos' and folklore. There are touches of horror although that's not always present. And they are centered around heroes that have to come into their own over the course of the story.

This is different from what urban fantasy has become in recent years. Lately the genre is characterized by stories rife with monsters and in many cases monsters that are the hero or perhaps anti-hero that the stories center around. Think vampires, werewolves, demons, succubi and other. They are often wrestling with own nature and how they fit into the modern world. There's a lot of elements of hardboiled detective stories as well. Finally, there is often a strong romantic aspect to the work.

Don't misunderstand me; I love to read the books that make up the current wave of urban fantasy. There are strong female leads, imaginative worlds that are created within our own and plenty of relationships to explore. All of these things are right in my wheelhouse as a reader. I also have some ideas on my whiteboard revolving around some of these elements.

But my current work is more in the vein of de Lint's old school urban fantasy than the new wave of vampires and werewolves. I often worry that calling my work urban fantasy will be misleading and might be missed by my target audience entirely.

Recently I've heard of a genre label that has become popular yet still fringe: slipstream. It seems to be characterized somewhere between magic realism and new urban fantasy and it's possible that my work falls right into that niche. Here is a couple of references to slipstream fiction:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipstream_%28genre%29
http://www.wsj.com/articles/slipstream-fiction-goes-mainstream-1423072888

When the dust settles I generally end up describing my work as urban/contemporary fantasy, and slipstream. It's a mouthful when talking to people and I usually end up having to describe the differences. And I have to hope that my readers find my work. Maybe I'm overthinking this...

No comments:

Post a Comment