Monday, January 7, 2019

Sneak peak!

So my next book, Splitter, is coming along nicely. It's in the final set of edits before I then go to work on formatting, creating the final cover and publishing.

Splitter, the third book set in the Dreamside universe, is about a boy who lives on the Dreamside and the Wakeside simultaneously. It's a confusing, maddening existence and he is slowly losing his mind. He meets up with Colin and Kate (who is now Colin's girlfriend) and the resulting conflict introduces Kate to the Dreamside and she becomes a reluctant heroine.

I love to write about strong women, and Kate represents my first attempt at having the central character be female. Most of my favorite books spotlight strong female characters, ranging from Mercy Thompson to Honor Harrington, with many others in between. I must admit that Anita Blake is a guilty pleasure of mine, though I kinda lost interest after book 6 in that series.

I've got to admit that I'm a tad nervous about this. I hope I manage to capture a feminine character with a believable voice. We'll see.

I'm getting really excited so I thought I'd put some cover previews up. I haven't made my final decision on which of these two I'm going to use, but I will admit I'm leaning toward the first.



Putting Splitter aside for a moment, I also want to announce that the rough draft of my following book, Black Swan Effect, is completed and "percolating" on my virtual desk currently. The ending is mega sloppy still, though the skeleton of it is solid.

This is my first book that is not set in the Dreamside Universe. It's the first book in what I hope will be a three book science fiction series, though I am being quite careful to have each book stand alone. The last thing I want is to leave people hanging.

I have been toying with covers for that one as well. I've found that playing around with covers and other images for my writing is energizing. So without further ado, he's a possible cover for that book.


I'm pretty happy with this one already, though I'm still toying with other ideas. The book is still way down my publishing pipeline, so I would be surprised if this is actually the final cover.

Finally, I recently started my "next, next, next" book that will follow Black Swan Theory. It is going to be the fourth novel set on the Dreamside, and will star the cast of The Scary Girls, centering on Hazel. In fact, at this moment, the working title is Hazel's Story, though that's unlikely to survive the writing process. I've got it outlined and have been finding it effortless to write so far. I'm not far into it, and it's pretty much the lowest priority at the moment, but I'm excited to see where Hazel takes me.

Anyway, that's a not-so-short synopsis of where I am currently with my recently revitalized writing career.

No comments:

Post a Comment