Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Illustrations in a fantasy novel

So I've been toying with the idea of finding an illustrator/digital artist to create a series of 3-5 pieces that I can use in my next book. I've spent quite a bit of time digging around at DeviantArt but haven't found anyone there yet. I did find a few artists doing things I am interested in but none of them say anything about doing commissions.

One of the key issues for me is that I don't want faces to be clearly visible or well defined. I would rather leave such details to the readers' imaginations. For example, one image I have in my head is of a young girl in a sundress swinging on a swing that is suspended from a huge tree with a forest as the backdrop. The girl would be far away from the camera, so to speak, and while she'd be facing the reader, the details of her face would be indistinguishable.

Another approach I'm interested in is more abstract digital art, possible extreme photo manipulation. I really love the work of Dave McKean as an example of what I'm thinking. I have verified that Createspace supports color images, and I'm assuming the .mobi format will as well.

I'm honestly not sure why I'm so into this idea, but I've got a lot of time before the book is finished to look around.

No comments:

Post a Comment